What are benefits of a programmable thermostat and what cost savings can they bring you?
Do you currently have programmable thermostat in your Buffalo and Western New York home? Programmable thermostats are a great addition to any home, and are particularly useful in the colder and warmer months of the year as we face excessive temperature changes. Whether your New York home currently has a programmable thermostat or not, you should understand the benefits of a programmable thermostat and the cost savings they can bring you. How can you get the most value out of a programmable thermostat?
You can save at minimal 10% a year on heating and cooling costs by having a programmable thermostat. A programmable thermostat allows you to adjust the times you turn on the heating or air-conditioning in your Buffalo, New York home by having a pre-set schedule. Programmable thermostats can store and repeat numerous daily settings that can be manually overridden, if needed, without affecting the rest of the daily or weekly program.
You can reap the benefits of a programmable thermostat by merely turning your thermostat back 7° to 10°F for 8 hours a day from its normal setting.
Standard thermostats can be adjusted manually; however, programmable thermostats, when on a schedule, help homeowners to avoid discomfort by returning temperatures to normal before they begin their daily routines or return home. The slighter the difference between the indoor and outdoor temperatures, the lower your overall heating and cooling bills will be.
There are different types of programmable thermostats, each with a distinctive scheduling style:
- – 7-day programming: Common for homes with changeable schedules, as this is the most flexible option. This option allows you program a different heating and cooling schedule for every day of the week.
- – 5-1-1 programming: This allows you to schedule a different heating and cooling plan for each weekend day (Saturday and Sunday) with one heating and cooling schedule for the week.
- – 5-2 programming: This is similar to the 5-1-1 programming, except Saturday and Sunday will have the same heating and cooling plan as each other.
- – 1-week programming: If you have a regular schedule, this thermostat may work for your home. You can only set one heating and cooling plan that will be repeated daily for the entire week.
The U.S. Department of Energy suggests the following settings for energy savings and to give you the most value out of your programmable thermostat:
- – Program the temp to 68°F for the hours you’re home and awake.
- – For the hours you’re asleep or out of the house, lower the temperature at least 10 degrees.
- – Program air conditioning to 78°F, for the hours you are not home.
- – Set your thermostat at as high a temperature as comfortably possible and ensure humidity control if needed, while you are inside the home.
When programming your thermostat, consider the times when you typically go to sleep and wake up. If you prefer to sleep at a cooler temperature, you might want to start the temperature setback a bit ahead of the time you standardly go to bed. Also consider the schedules of others in the household. If there is a time during the day when the house is empty for four hours or more, it makes sense to adjust the temperature during those periods.
At Reimer Home Services, our outstanding heating and cooling technicians are ready to help with your Western New York heating and cooling needs. We’re a team of true professionals that brings our expertise, experience, and enthusiasm to every project and every home.
Throughout the Buffalo area, we’re known for our friendly, courteous service. We won’t let you down.
Contact us today to learn more about getting the most value out of your programmable thermostat and for all of your heating, cooling, and plumbing needs.