Failure to clean out lint is the leading cause of dryer fires.
Many people don’t realize it, but your dryer vents should be cleaned at least once a year. Over time, dryer vents accumulate highly flammable lint, and failure to clean out lint is the leading cause of dryer fires. What are the signs that it is time to clean your dryer vents in your Buffalo, New York home?
Signs you Need to Clean Your Dryer Vents
The U.S. Fire Administration reports that 2,900 home clothes dryer fires are reported every year and cause an estimated 5 deaths, 100 injuries, and $35 million in property loss. Homeowners not cleaning their dryer vents is the leading cause of home clothes dryer fires, at 34 percent.
There are several warning signs that lint has built up in your dryer ductwork and your dryer vents need a complete cleaning. Below are signs that it is time to clean your dryer vents:
– Garments take longer to dry or they don’t fully dry
– Items are hotter than normal at the end of the drying cycle
– Dryer gets extremely warm on the outside
– Indication of low exhaust speed; external exhaust vent flapper does not open very much
– More humidity in the laundry area
– Burnt smell is coming from the dryer
Tips to Clean Your Dryer Vents
Even if you have not noticed signs you need to clean your dryer vents, you still should thoroughly do so at least once annually.
You should always clean the lint trap in between loads when doing laundry in your Buffalo, New York home. Removing lint that’s captured in the mesh screen of your lint trap is key to preventing fires. A dust-free trap allows for better airflow; thus, being less likely to create kindle for a fire.
We have provided tips for how you can clean your dryer vents:
– Inspect Vent: To start, you should visually inspect the outside exhaust vent to your dryer. Remove any objects that may be there. Most commonly you may find an animal nest or backup of lint that is attached to the outside vent.
– Eliminate Lint Buildup: Disconnect your dryer from the electricity and turn off the gas valve if you have a gas dryer. Remove the dryer duct and clean the ductwork. You can use a flexible brush to wipe out the lent, air compressor to blow the lint out, or vacuum cleaner to suck the lint out the vents. Remove all lint that has built up in the vents and ductwork.
– Clean Around Dryer: At this time, you should clean the area around your dryer. Vacuum under and nearby your dryer area to prevent the intake of dust, lint, and other debris. You should clean around your dryer area throughout the year.
– Assemble and Reattach Ductwork: Now is the time to put your dryer vent back together. Make sure everything is connected properly. Kinks can work as a lint trap; so make sure there are no bends or kinks in the ducts. Confirm your lint screen is back in place and run the dryer to make sure that it is venting correctly.
Let’s put a Fold in this…
See what we did there?!?! Cleaning your Buffalo, New York dryer vents at least once annually is essential to your dryer functioning properly, and also your home’s safety. If you notice signs that it’s time to clean your dryer vents throughout the year, you should do so. Every home is different. To be safe, you can hire professionals to clean your dryer vents.
For decades, local homeowners have trusted the team at Reimer Home Services with all their home service needs. We’re your HVAC company in Buffalo. We’re your plumbers here in Western New York. Above all else, we’re here for you and your home.
Contact us today so we can get started with helping with all your home HVAC and plumbing needs.